Minh Nguyen wrote:
Hi David,

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:

<SNIP>

Can anyone tell me what invokes this command?

As of Sage 4.3.1.alpha1, Sage packages are installed using the script

SAGE_ROOT/local/bin/sage-spkg

That script has this block of code from line 297:

echo "****************************************************"
echo "CC Version"
echo "$CC -v"
$CC -v
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
    echo "Unable to determine C compiler version."
fi

which hardcodes the compiler option "-v".

Thank you. I'll correct that. It's an easy fix.

I believe '-v' is an option to most compilers, which is why the message "Unable to determine C compiler version" is never printed. It just does not do the same thing as it does with gcc.

Dave