On Jan 7, 2010, at 9:25 PM, Rado wrote:

yeah, come to think of it, it is probably that i changed some things
without doing clone first (in my defense clone eats up a lot of space
on small hdd).

Fortunately it eats up less now, as the build output, .c files, and (I think) docs are hard linked rather than copied, though it's still non- trivial.

here is the hg heads output. Not sure how it is supposed to look, but
probably having two heads is unusual?

Yes, at least the way we do things.

r...@rado-tablet:~/sage/devel/sage$ hg heads
changeset:   13539:1509addfe332
tag:         tip
parent:      12662:a1ee63fd9d13
user:        r...@rado-tablet
date:        Thu Dec 31 18:26:12 2009 -0600
summary:     merge

changeset:   13538:21efb0b3fc47
user:        William Stein <wst...@gmail.com>
date:        Thu Dec 24 09:44:02 2009 -0800
summary:     4.3

This means that you're sage library really isn't really upgraded to 4.3. (In some sense, 4.3 is sitting in a branch parallel to your modified one). You're actually lucky it broke as cleanly as it did-- sometimes upgrading all the spkgs without upgrading the core library can cause hard crashes or strange behavior.

There was talk of changing the upgrade script to fail more gracefully, see

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/5b566397731862d/166786f3ecf855ca?lnk=gst&q=expert_upgrade#166786f3ecf855ca

No one got around to actually doing it though.

Thanks for the help probably will do a fresh reinstall. If i keep
braking Sage maybe I would learn the basics of software development
soon.

Easier and faster than a whole new install, what you can do is move your sage-main to, say, sage-main-old, then do

sage -f $SAGE_ROOT/spkg/standard/sage-4.3.spkg

Which will create a pristine sage-main for you. I would recommend always working in a clone, typically you'll only ever need one. Queues make life a lot easier too.

- Robert