Thats sort of what I was originally thinking for a first go, but I'm not sure
how
useful it would be in the long term. What would be pretty quick is to create an
app, main view
would be a text editor, say use the editor component from smultron, and extend
it so you could have
mplotlib widgets (mplotlib, with a pdf backend) in the editor.

This approach would be a lot quicker than adding a python empowered DOM to
webkit, but would not give
anywhere near the functionality, and much of the code would be Mac specific (no
problem for me, but
not everyone is a Mac user).

3D plots could be handled with google's O3D. Even though O3D is intended as a
WebKit plugin, the way it
creates language bindings is a bit different (and a lot cleaner) then webkit:
O3D has set of idl files
that are processed by a set of python scripts to generate language bindings.
These scripts are very
different then the perl scripts for webkit, and a lot easier to hack. So, its
possible to create a
python enabled O3D component, and also host this in the editor view.

With either route, all the graph drawing code would be python, and would not
matter much if the
O3D canvas is hosted in WebKit, or an editor view.