Dear Sage and Sage-Combinat devs,

I just updated http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/wiki/SageCombinatRoadMap
to reflect the big pile of work that has been done in 2009. I
certainly have forgotten things; in particular, I did not list
anything about words and the like. Please edit further!

I also added a list of core features I really would like to see in
Sage, or at least in Sage-Combinat, before Sage Days 20 (Feb.  22nd),
since they will be building blocks for the work planned there.
Here is a copy:

 * Merge #7921 in Sage 4.2.2: Categories for extension types via
__getattr___(Robert, Nicolas, Florent)
 * Merge #7938 in Sage 4.2.2: swap_term_and_monomial (Jason, Nicolas)
 * Rebase, finalize and merge #7004: Refactor the graph layout code, and add
interface with graphviz for acyclic layout
   (Robert Beezer? Nathann Cohen?)
 * Finalize #7914: Triangular isomorphisms of free modules (Jason, Nicolas)
 * Generalize #7914: (Jason?, Nicolas; depends on #7938)
   - Support for a (partial) inverse function on terms
     (when the indices of the domain do not coincide with those of the codomain)
   - Non invertible triangular morphism:
     - phi.preimage(y): returns the preimage x of y or None if it does not
exists (or raise an exception?)
         - phi.reduce(y): returns (x, r) such that y = phi(x) + r, and r
contains no leading term of phi(domain)
       (that would be euclidean division if phi was x -> x * p where p is some
polynomial)
       Better name for that method?
 * (6) Use breath-first-search or Dijkstra in Coercion, as discussed in #7420
(volunteers?)
 * (7) Allow for user defined overloaded operators, and not just +,*,...
(Nicolas, depends on (6))
 * (8) Refactor the support for functorial construction (Nicolas)
 * (9) Implement the Sub / Quotient / Subquotient functorial constructions
(Florent?, depends on (8))
 * (10) Implement Sub and Quotient of finite dimensional free modules /
algebras / ... (Florent?, depends on #7938 and #7914 with generalization)
 * (11) Extract basic support for the "concrete representation of an abstract
algebra" relation out of the ncsf patch (Jason?)

(7), (11) are building blocks for further progress in qsym/ncsf/polynomials
with several basis (#6889)
(9) is a building block for the representation theory of monoids
(10) is the main building block for the representation theory of finite
dimensional algebra
#7004 will be used intensively to visualize semigroups and others

#7921 and #7938 are likely to not commute with the followers, so need
to get it soon.

As you can see it is quite long! We need volunteers! A first step is
to create tickets for 6-11.

I promise to provide full specifications and timely reviews to whoever
stands up on those.

Best,
                        Nicolas, off to grading 200 students ...
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/