On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> I'm going to update the 'prereq' script to add a test for a Fortran
> compiler. I would like to know what we need.
>
> This is what is a quick summary of what is currently tested in 'prereq'. Is
> there anything else which should be added to this list.
>
> 1) Non GNU compilers permitted, but you need to set SAGE_PORT to something
> non-empty for those.
>
> 2) You are not permitted to mix GNU and non-GNU compilers C and C++
> compilers.
>
> 3) If using GCC, then gcc and g++ version must be  >4.0.1.
>
> A version 3.4.x gcc/g++ can be used, but you need to set an environment
> variable
>
> SAGE_USE_OLD_GCC
>
> to something non-empty if you want to use a gcc 3.4.x
>
> 4) Checks that gcc and g++ are the same version number.
>
> 5) lex, yacc, ar, ld, ranlib, m4, strip and bash - no particular versions
> are checked.
>
> 6) Perl - version >= 5.6.0
>
> (I took a guess at version 5.6.0. I will check the Pari and NTL docs, to see
> if they say you need a later version than that. If not, I'll leave at 5.6.0,
> as testing for even earlier versions is tricky. 5.6.0 is quite old.)
>
> 7) 'tar' and 'make' must be GNU versions.
>
> 8) Warning issued for any non-supported operating system, but build
> continues as long as SAGE_PORT is set to something non-empty.
>
> 9) Warning issued if Latex is not present, but build continues.
>
> Is there anything missing on the above list, which is not part of the POSIX
> Unix standard?
>
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/
>
> If for you are aware something needs 'bison', then it should be checked for

The above looks good.

I don't think anything uses flex or bison.  It *used* to be that
Sage's build did (for Singular), but Gonzalo Tornaria removed that
dependency.

Is Latex still required?  I can't think of anything it is needed for.
 I don't think it is needed to install Sage.  It's useful in some
cases when using Sage though.

William