Since the topic of desktop-based apps for Sage has come up recently on
this list, I thought it might be a good time to point out that a very
good way to create a desktop-based GUI for Sage is to use one of the
open source Java IDEs as a foundation.  This is what I did when I
created SageIDE a couple of years ago and I have been very pleased
with the results.

Of course, when I left the Sage project I renamed SageIDE to
MathPiperIDE and converted it to use another CAS as its computation
engine, but what I would like to focus on is the benefits of using
this approach for creating a Sage desktop app.  Here are some of the
benefits:

- Programmer-quality text editing capabilities.
- Programmer-quality search and replace tool.
- Edit modes for over 150 file types.
- Easy-to-use declarative syntax highlighting extension mechanism.
- Error highlighting.
- Plugin-based extension mechanism with versioning and dependencies.
- Dockable windows for the plugins.
- The whole application is extensible using numerous scripting languages.
- Solid 2D and 3D graphics capabilities.
- Cross platform (runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, and Solaris).
- Many other benefits.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in playing with SageIDE/MathPiperIDE
to get a feel for what a desktop GUI app for Sage might be like, it
can be downloaded from here:

http://mathpiper.org

Ted