On 1 February 2010 04:53, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 3:43 PM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> You have several options.
>>
>> 1) William has a virtual machine I believe.
>
> I vaguely recall a machine called "disk.math" or something that runs
> OpenSolaris.

Yes, that is true. But given disk's role as a central server, I do not
believe William wants to make that publicly available for development.
But you would have to check that with William. I could create a zone
on 'disk' which would provide security, and let people only use the
zone. Again that would be up to William. He would need to get me
another static IP address.

>> 2) You can install it in VirtualBox.
>
> That is possible. My local machine has 1 GB of RAM, which is
> sufficient for running one virtual machine with 250 MB of RAM. But my
> monthly Internet quota doesn't allow me to download Sage tarballs
> several times a month. Upgrading is an option. But for Sage
> development, I often require source tarballs.

Yes, 1 GB is not going to give you room to run many virtual machines.
In fact, I'm not sure OpenSolaris would be able to installed in 250 MB
of RAM.

My Ultra 27 has 12 GB RAM and 1.3 TB of disk space free. on the users
file system (there are a pair of 2 TB mirrored disks, plus another
pair of 500 GB mirrored disks for the system). So you wont run out of
resources too quickly.

>> 3) I would personally give you an account on my Ultra 27, which is
>> pretty quick, with a quad core 3.33 GHz Xeon.
>
> That would be kind of you.

No problem. I will do it in a few hours time, but can't do it just
now. If you still have the email I sent you with the HP-UX account
details, I will use the same password. If you have deleted it, let me
know and I'll send you the password in an email. It has SSH server,
but the port is non-standard. I can't recall what port you will need
to use, but it will not be 22. I'll sort out the details in a few
hours time.

Dave