David,
I am trying the fix the doctests bug in sage/graphs/generic_graph.py
where M is assigned the character table of a group.
Obviously det(M) can only be correct up to a sign, as we have no
control over the
order of rows and/or columns of M.

So this is actually a doctests-specific probem: if I do abs
(-712483534798848) at the
sage prompt, I don't get 7.12483534798848e14, I get 712483534798848,
and this
is mighty annoying...

Dima