Sorry for the noise.  It was not recompiling wrap.cc since it found an
error in compiling mwrank.pyx, which it does first, and then quit.
the error in mwrank.pyx was that I had introduced a new function but
had only put in its implementation code, not a separate declaration.

Well, I am learning!

John