William Stein wrote:
2010/2/3 Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com>:
William,
can I steal/clone your Sage installation there?
Thanks!

The sage-4.3.2.alpha0 was built with GCC-4.4.2.  Now GCC-4.4.3 is
installed on there, so got to start from scratch.

If you believe that you need to start from scratch, then perhaps you agree with my proposal that upgrades should only be performed with the Same version of gcc.

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/df6ba5bdb1f0b673/6e855cec771a90c4?#6e855cec771a90c4

Though Jaap does not think so, and one of the gcc developers suggested it is is ok if the Z changes in X.Y.Z, and almost certainly if the Y changes, but not if X changes

But then Robert Bradshaw does not trust this either, pointing to this link, which admitidly a bit old.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml

Personally, I think it is safer to instist that Sage upgrades are performed with the same version of gcc, even tough you might well get away with a mix of versions.

Dave