Willem Jan Palenstijn wrote:
On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 11:00:00AM +0000, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
As indicated in the thread "4.3.2.rc0 failing on Solaris as R needs iconv" we now need to add iconv. This is ticket

This should also help resolve the issue at

which is Cygwin issue.

I downloaded iconv-1.13.1 and see two files - COPYING and COPYING.LIB.

<snip>

As such, I' don't know where we stand with this. There are two different license files in the same package, which is obvious a mix-up.

According to their NEWS file, the program iconv is GPL3, the libiconv library
is LGPL2 (not GPL), and the headers in the 1.13.1 source files confirm this.

-Willem Jan

That file COPYING.LIB is very odd. It is clearly marked GPL, not LGPL, but then when you read more, it is, then it is LPGL-ish.

But I think we are safe with this.

I can see this GPL2 restricting becoming more and more of an issue over time. Most people releasing new software under the GPL are likely to go for version 3, as that is the latest.

Dave