On Feb 15, 2010, at 7:52 PM, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

How  does one deal with name clashes?
E.g. a package (say, cvxopt) has its own "matrix" type,
so importing all of it into Sage without appropriate name substitution
makes a mess.

Are there any guidelines one should follow?

The global namespace is already huge, and once something goes in it's hugely backwards incompatible to take it out. Typically we wouldn't import any of cvxopt directly into the global namespace, let alone all of it. The user can do "import cvxopt" themselves, as well as any functionality that uses/wraps it.

As well as naming conflicts, another consideration is the widely different conventions and styles other packages use, while we try to provide a consistent interface.

- Robert