On 2 March 2010 20:17, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2010, at 12:03 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
>
>> I want to build Sage on 't2', and know I need to apply 3 Mercurial patches
>> to the Sage library - two fix numerical noise issues, the other replaces
>> 'top' by 'prstat').
>>
>> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8374
>> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8375
>> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8391
>> (all 3 awaiting review by the way).
>>
>> How can I apply those patches before starting to build Sage? At the point
>> the tar file is extracted, I've no 'mercurial' package built, but I do have
>> 'hg' installed on 't2'. There is no 'devel' directory.
>
> When you have an install of sage, there's a devel directory right under sage
> root. I don't think it's there until you build sage. The developers guide
> should be enough to go from there.

The point is though, if you know you need certain patches before Sage
will build, one might as well put them in now.

> It should be possible to unpack the spkg, cd into it, run "hg import
> /path/to/patch" then re-tar the spkg, and then run a make testlong, but I've
> never done that. I find it much easier to patch in place. (Then again, I
> want to try it out, not just run tests...)
>
> - Robert

I want to try it too, but I suspect the build will finish in the
middle of the night, so being able to run the tests immediately after
its built is useful.

I think this document I published

http://t2nb.math.washington.edu:8000/home/pub/7/

shows that even though that particular bit of the documentation passes
the test, the output viewed in a browser is rubbish. I'd love to see
some way of actually testing what the browser will display.

Dave