Minh,

Thanks for the reply.

On Mar 5, 2:03 pm, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 5:17 AM, Ryan Hinton <iob...@email.com> wrote:
> > I am in the process of running doctests on a machine with a system-wide Sage
> > install.  I don't have write access to the install area.  Several doctests
> > for doc/common/builder.py try to write to files in the install area, and so
> > fail.
>
> I think the docbuild failures at ticket #8448 [1] are expected. That
> is, say you run all doctests under the directory
> SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage-main, where your Sage installation is a
> system-wide installation. I would expect that the system-wide
> installation was performed by a user with more privileges than a
> normal user. Writing to a directory that you don't have access to is
> asking for trouble. And the docbuild script is clearly writing to such
> a directory. So at the moment, I would consider ticket #8448 as
> invalid. But we'll wait and see how all your doctesting turns out.

This isn't a docbuild -- this is a doctest.  I'm just running the
tests.  I expect that when I run

/system/path/sage -testall

I should get an "All tests passed!" result for a successful install --
whether or not I have write access in the install tree.  For example,
the builder.py doctests might write to temporary files in my ~/.sage
directory (where I have write access) and then compare their contents
to the desired result.

Did I explain better this time?

Thanks!

- Ryan