On Mar 6, 2010, at 9:22 PM, William Stein wrote:

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Robert Bradshaw
<rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
On Mar 6, 2010, at 6:57 PM, Franco Saliola wrote:

I recently stumbled over a bug in the pexpect module shipped with
Sage. It turns out that specifying the full path to a command doesn't
work; you get an UnboundLocalError exception. I've created a ticket
with an example:

The question is, do we patch pexpect, or do we upgrade to the newest
version (we're shipping version 2.0 while the latest version is 2.3)? I imagine that there could be some good reasons for not upgrading, so
the real question here is whether there are any objections to
upgrading.

The most likely case is that simply no one's had the time or need to upgrade
(though this would be the place to ask).

No, that's not the situation.  IMHO every pexpect version > 2.0 I've
tried has seriously sucked performance wise, so far.  They did a total
rewrite which made a mess of things...   Anyway, the last time we had
this discussion was about a year ago, so it's worth trying again
(maybe pexpect improved).

It may be worth adding this blurb to the pexpect's SPGK.txt.

- Robert