It may be the only way to get a semi-consistant result is to use the
Mathlink protocol, but that would require linking to a proprietry
library, so it could only be possible as an optional package, as
otherwise it would breach the GPL.

One way to get a consistent result is to do what I said earlier: use x.Real() and x.Imag() explicitly.

You'll also find that Mathematica sometimes renders a number as a decimal "x 10^18" or something, and the power of 10 varies based on the run. I avoided that by not using MMA's printing routines at all.

Nick