Hi François,
I have no problem building Sage from scratch with NTL 5.5.2 and gf2x.
As I said, I have myself available spkgs (and patches) doing them job
(modifiy spkg-install, remove or modify the patches to NTL, update
spkg/standard/deps etc).
My problem is that the policy is to make new spkg optional during some
time before inclusion as standard. I would like to be able to install
gf2x with 'sage -i gf2x-0.9.6' and this seems more difficult to me.

    Yann