On Mar 19, 5:05 am, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sage uses non-standard command-line options (e.g., -notebook rather
> than --notebook). I propose that we switch to standard ones. Here are
> two reasons:
>
> 1. They're standard, and standards are good. People used to Unix-type
> systems will expect our options to work this way.  I think if we
> decide to continue not using the standard format, we should have a
> good reason.
>
> 2. If we use standard command-line options, we can use an existing
> command-line parser, like Python's optparse, instead of having our own
> home-grown version (in SAGE_ROOT/local/bin/sage-sage). A standard
> Python library package is likely to be more robust than something home-
> grown. For example, we can solve trac ticket #21 (and the related
> ticket #180) this way. For another example, note that "sage -merge"
> works but "sage --merge" doesn't; this sort of thing can be fixed on a
> case-by-case basis, but it's harder to even introduce such
> inconsistencies with optparse.

I think it is a great idea.

> - what is "sage -darcs" supposed to do? I don't know what "darcs" is,
> and I don't see any packages which seem relevant.

I assume this refers to the distributed source code management.
(http://darcs.net/) Perhaps someone was thinking of it as an
alternative to mercurial. It does have an interesting theory of
patches.

> - what about "sage -axiom"? What package installs axiom?  Fricas?

This is leftover from when fricas used to use the name axiom as a
synonym. This is no longer the case. If axiom is installed globally it
will be used. There is no spkg for it but there are optional tests
that assume the presence of axiom.

Adam