Hi,

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> at 6pm today we'll be giving a presentation about FEMhub[0] at the
> 2010 Northern California Western Nevada
> Jr. Science and Humanities Symposium[1, 2].
>
> I'll talk about sympy as part of it for about 10 minutes. I've
> prepared a worksheet:
>
> http://nb.femhub.org/home/pub/16/
>
> with all kinds of sympy demos (I am attaching it too, just to be
> sure). Let me know if you have some other cool stuff that can go in.
> I've put our latest git sympy into femhub (e.g. new polys). I've also
> discovered a new bug [3] in the polys.
>
> Ondrej
>

> [0] http://femhub.org/
> [1] http://lawrencehallofscience.org/jshs/
> [2] http://www.jshs.org/
> [3] http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=1863

So there were about 160 people, I asked how many of them can do
programming, I think roughly 30 people raised hands and then I asked
how many of them know Python and about the same amount of people
raised hands, which was very interesting to me.

I run over all the cells in the worksheet, everything went smoothly.
Except for one cell, that holded the long polynomial expression,
didn't resize well and I couldn't make it resize, this was annoying.
But otherwise the notebook worked pretty well. Previously, when giving
some demo/tutorials about sympy, I prepared a .py file and copy&pasted
things into the terminal, but from now on I'll be using the web
notebook --- it's way more convenient, as I have better granularity in
determining if some cell goes wrong (the .py file just raises an
exception and ends, while in the notebook just this one cell fails), I
like that I can use the text cells (headings/titles) so that the
worksheet has some structure etc. I *love* that I can output html, so
my (actually Fredrik's:) demo code that produces the
integrals/derivatives table just works in the notebook and it looked
really nice in Firefox, using the unicode pretty printing.

I need to figure out how to use the jsmath more easily, and also the
pretty printing in sympy is tailored to 80 characters terminal width,
but the notebook trims it earlier, so it looks ugly if the expression
is long.

But overall, I am sold for the web notebook/online lab, couple years
ago I was very skeptical, as I really love just a terminal. But for
these kinds of presentations, the notebook is better than a terminal.

Ondrej