2010/3/21 Dr. David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net>:
> Minh Nguyen wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>
> <snip>
>
>> From my experience with machines on Skynet, building
>> and doctesting Sage on some of the Linux machines could actually crash
>> the machine. Most times for me, such a crash would result in bringing
>> a machine down, or even bringing down the primary network node that is
>> the gateway to the other machines on the network.
>
> If this happens, something must be seriously screwed up on the skynet
> network. There is no way a normal user should be able to crash one machine,
> let alone do even more damage.

The login node -- eno -- was regularly crashing when pushed hard.  The
sysadmin suspected faulty hardware and very recently replaced the
computer with a new one.  Hopefully this will fix the problem.

> I've tried using skynet for Solaris, but the machines are not very fast, and
> heavily loaded sometimes.

You have to type

  touch /tmp/`hostname`0 /tmp/`hostname`1 /tmp/`hostname`2
/tmp/`hostname`3 /tmp/`hostname`4

to temporarily disable the ECM jobs running on a given node on skynet,
which use spare cycles.  (They will stop after a certain amount of
time.)

William