2010/3/23 François Bissey <f.r.bis...@massey.ac.nz>:
> Hi,

> I am trying to find the root of some test failure with the maxima interface
> on the port of sage of Gentoo and I have just read the content of
> maxima-noreadline:
> #!/bin/sh
> SAGE_CLISP_DISABLE_READLINE_HACK="yes"; export
> SAGE_CLISP_DISABLE_READLINE_HACK
> exec "$SAGE_LOCAL"/bin/maxima "$@"
> --------------
>
> Considering that sage has switched to ecl, is this still relevant?

  It should not be, and certainly is not for a clisp not built using
the sage spkg.

  I used a different approach in the mandriva package. Instead of using the
SAGE_CLISP_DISABLE_READLINE_HACK environment variable, I changed
a bit the behavior of the clisp -I option (patch credit to Sam Steingold, after
asking in clisp-devel):
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/clisp/current/SOURCES/clisp-noreadline.patch?revision=418280&view=markup

  And added this change to the maxima script, to pass -I to clisp if
--disable-readline
is used:
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/maxima/current/SOURCES/maxima-5.19.1-clisp-noreadline.patch?revision=421784&view=markup

  Since you say you are searching for the cause of problems in sage's
interface to
maxima, this patch to allow building ecl backend may also be useful:
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/maxima/current/SOURCES/maxima-5.20.1-ecl-ldflags.patch?revision=514331&view=markup

  And this sagemath patch to actually allow using also clisp and gcl
backends, and
passing all doctests:
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/sagemath/current/SOURCES/sage-4.3.3-maxima.patch?revision=524719&view=markup

  The problem with clisp and gcl is that, because the pexpect
interface used by sage
allocates a pty, it causes the lisp interface to consider it is
running in an interactive
mode, and redirects stderr to stdout. The solution for clisp was easier, but gcl
required sending a ":lisp <form>" command.

  But the sage interface appears to still be somewhat fragile, as if
one mistakingly adds
two ";", it will hang any lisp backend, due to the pexpect interface
loosing sync.

> Francois

Paulo