I think the problem here is that David Roe's major rewrite of the
finite field code was (sensibly) split into several separate tickets,
of which the first 2 or 3 have been merged in 4.4, while the rest are
still awaiting review / work after review.  And David tried hard to
make each ticket in the series so that everything worked fine after it
without requiring the whole series of patches to be applied at once;
but nothing is perfect.

So it is definitely not a good idea to make dummy classes or anything
like that;'  let's get on with reviewing the rest of the series!

John