Excellent! Thanks Minh.

Below if a VERY rough first draft of the procedure. I'll fill each
step in with more detail as the release proceeds. Probably best to
coordinate this via email and perhaps we'll make an html page on the
MPIR website detailing all the steps so that anyone can do this by
following the steps we come up with.

1. Tuning
=========

If any new tuning needs to be done, cd tune and make tune on each of the

available platforms. Copy the result into the top level file gmp-mparam.h

*must be done on the relevant machine* and commit to svn. Do NOT remove

or overwrite the very long FFT_TABLE2 type parameters at the end of the

gmp-mparam.h if they exist.

Let Brian Gladman know once this is done so he can copy the tuning

parameters over for Windows (tuning is currently broken on Windows).

2. Preliminary testing
======================

check out svn trunk and test on a handful of platforms and make sure it

isn't completely broken.

Let Brian Gladman know to test it on his Windows.

3. Make a Release Candidate (must be done on boxen.math)
===========================

Check out svn trunk into an appropriately named directory mpir-x.y.z on

boxen.math
edit the setversion script to correctly set the MPIR version number and

the library sonames
run setversion
commit to svn trunk
./configure
make dist (MUST be done on boxen.math)
cd doc
make pdf
rename pdf to mpir-x.y.z.pdf
sftp the mpir-x.y.z tarball and pdf doc to the www directory on

m...@sagemath on boxen but name the tarball mpir-x.y.z-rc1.tar.gz
update the website with the announcement (m...@sagemath:www/index.html)
Include details of new features in the announcement
List any known problems and remove any problems known to be fixed
Update changes.html with a list of new features for the release

4. Make a call for testing on mpir-devel

Let everyone know that the RC is available for testing

5. Testing
==========

Test on SkyNet (all machines)
Test on Windows machines (Jeff Gilchrist often helps with this)
Test on sage.math, cuda1, ...
Update testing matrix in index.html as machines pass
ask others to do testing if you don't have access to suitable machines

6. Fix problems
===============

Announce any problems on mpir-devel and get them fixed in svn
Iterate the above from 2 until everything works, changing the name of the

rc each iteration and updating link on website (index.html).

7. Paperwork
============

When the release cycle looks pretty stable, or when you find time:
Edit NEWS file with all new features and improvements
Edit ChangeLog file with new release date
Edit AUTHORS file with their new contributions
Update contributors and references in documentation doc/mpir.texi
make the pdf doc again and upload to website
makeinfo mpir.texi
check everything in to svn

7. Final Release
================

When an rc finally exists with no reported bugs:
Close fixed trac tickets on trac server
List any relevant papers of contributors on the changes.html page and

link from the features announced on index.html
Update contributors on index.html
generally check through website for errors, perhaps move some old release

announcements from the main page (index.html) to past.html
change name of final rc to mpir-x.y.z.tar.gz and update link on website
make announcement of final release on mpir-devel and perhaps sage-devel,
(give link to website in announcement)

Bill.