On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:21 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Nathan O'Treally <not.rea...@online.de>
> wrote:
>> On 17 Mai, 12:09, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>>> http://gmplib.org/
>>>
>>> says
>>>
>>> **Projects using GMP**
>>> There are many interesting projects that rely on GMP. Here are a few
>>> examples,
>>> in alphabetic order:
>>>
>>> # Sage is a free mathematics software system, which is gradually becoming a
>>> viable alternative to non-free computer algebra systems. "
>>>
>>> That's not true any more.
>>
>> Well, MPIR is derived from GMP (4.2.1)...
>
> (1) I sometimes build Sage against GMP for testing purposes, and there
> is an spkg that does this too.
>
> (2) Remark: Since anyone using GMP could use MPIR, technically nothing
> fundamentally relies on GMP.
>
> (3) Getting anything changed at http://gmplib.org is difficult.  For
> example, that page currently asserts
>
>  * "MPIR, a renamed GMP based on an obsolete version of the GMP
> sources, maintained by a group of people with funding from Microsoft.
> This GMP version uses an old LGPL license (version 2.1), but has
> nevertheless taken code from current GMP and downgraded the license
> without our authorisation. See e.g., this page were they say "I have
> very carefully applied all GMP issued patches through 25/08/2008".
> They are still through the University of Washington network
> distributing MPIR tarballs with the LGPL 3 code as if they had a LGPL
> 2 license (2010-05-05)."
>
> I have written to them about 20 times to get this changed.  I even
> wrote to the FSF about this, and they contacted me, did an audit, and
> made a specific list of one single minor item that had to be fixed on
> the MPIR website so that we would be in full compliance.  We fixed
> that weeks ago.  Yet still the above completely false statement
> remains on the GMP website.
>
> If anybody feels personally annoyed by how http://gmplib.org posts
> this false statements, the email addresses you can write to in order
> to complain are:
>
>    gmp-disc...@gmplib.org,
>    "Torbjorn Granlund" <t...@gmplib.org>,
>    "license-violation" <license-violat...@gnu.org>,

I just want to emphasize, that I'm not encouraging anybody to "harass" anyone.
If you feel that the gmplib.org website is incorrect and being abused,
and care about this, I am asking only that you write a mature and
reasoned email explaining your concerns.  That is all.

I'm adding this, because Torbjorn just wrote to me claiming that
asking people to express their views is an international crime: