The current version of zlib in Sage is rather out of date. It has patches to generate 64-bit on OS X, fails to work 64-bit on OpenSolaris and appears to have some dubious options used when it is configured. The -fPIC flag was added on every platform, since it was needed on Debian Itanium.

I've created a cleaner .spkg file, which removes all the junk, and basically builds zlib in the simplist/cleanest way possible. That might mean it will not work on some platforms. But its quite possible the problems seen on some platforms a couple of years ago are no longer an issue. Could a few people check it out.

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/patches/zlib-1.2.5/zlib-1.2.5.spkg

I've not marked it for review yet, as I want to get it tested more fully. But the trac ticket is

Dave