Hello, Bill.

> So it is established that we are being accused of academic fraud for
> removing the author information WHEN IT WAS DONE BY SOMEONE ON THE GMP
> TEAM in the actual version of GMP we forked from!!

Confirmed.

> I think what is currently on the GMP website is FAR more damaging to
> the author of those comments than it is to us.
> We don't need to do anything further about this. Trust me, I know how
> this works and it's over!

I  just  want  to say that it is "more damaging to the author of those
comments" only in eyes of those who knows all history.

Imagine  for  a moment that I am just ordinary programmer who wants to
download GMP from gmplib.org. What I see when I read about MPIR:
* something accused of (past) LGPL violations
* accused of academic fraud
* accused of launching defamation campaing
* funded by Microsoft (in such context - by Evil Empire Microsoft )

So I'll just conclude that MPIR team is evil, and won't read MPIR/SAGE
forum where I can find the truth.

I  think  that  such  situation  is damaging enough to the MPIR (team)
reputation  to  take  _something_ to get this text out from gmplib.org
However,  it  is  up to you to decide what to do in this situation.

If  you'll decide to write something to someone, I'll be happy to sign
it. Good luck!

--
With best regards,
 Sergey                          mailto:sergey.bochka...@alglib.net