On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 11:31 PM, Martin Rubey
<martin.ru...@math.uni-hannover.de> wrote:
> William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Burcin Erocal and I wrote a paper
>>
>> "The Sage Project: Unifying Free Mathematical Software to Create a
>> Viable Alternative to Magma, Maple, Mathematica and Matlab"
>>
>> for http://www.math.kobe-u.ac.jp/icms2010/index.html
>>
>> Here it is:
>>
>>       http://wstein.org/papers/icms/icms_2010.pdf
>
> A tiny correction to the list on 6, Table 2: as far as I know, sage does
> not communicate with axiom, but rather with fricas.  But I admit, I am
> not 100% certain, what the default installation does.  Please correct
> me, if I'm mistaken.
>
> Martin

Thanks for raising this point.  I remember Tim Daly complaining at
some point that I should rename the "axiom" command in sage to
"fricas".  So this is worth looking into, which I just did. The result
is that the Sage interface called "axiom" really is an interface to
Axiom, as claimed.

I think the Sage interface that is called "axiom" does in fact work
fine with Axiom.   On my computer, I don't have fricas installed, but
I do have axiom:

wst...@sage:~$ which fricas
wst...@sage:~$ which axiom
/usr/bin/axiom

This is the read-deal axiom, from Debian I think:

wst...@sage:~$ axiom
GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.7 CLtL1    Nov 10 2006 14:25:02
Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd,xgcl)
Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (XGCL READLINE BFD UNEXEC)
Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
Temporary directory for compiler files set to /tmp/
                        AXIOM Computer Algebra System
                     Version: Axiom 3.9 (September 2005)
              Timestamp: Saturday December 2, 2006 at 09:30:31
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.

   Re-reading compress.daase   Re-reading interp.daase
   Re-reading operation.daase
   Re-reading category.daase
   Re-reading browse.daase
(1) -> )quit

Now I run Sage, and verify that it doesn't know about any "fricas"
command, only Axiom, which is the systemwide "genuine" axiom:

wst...@sage:~$ sage
| Sage Version 4.4.1, Release Date: 2010-05-02                       |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
sage: !which axiom
/usr/bin/axiom
sage: !which fricas

And now I run a command, which calls Axiom:

sage: axiom('2 + 3')
5

Consulting the source shows that the command that Sage runs when the
axiom interface is invoked is "axiom -nox -noclef":

sage: axiom.__init__??
Source:
    def __init__(self, name='axiom', command='axiom -nox -noclef',
                 script_subdirectory=None, logfile=None,
                 server=None, server_tmpdir=None,
                 init_code=[')lisp (si::readline-off)']):

----

See http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/5111

There is a *separate* fricas interface:

sage: fricas.__init__??
Definition:     fricas.__init__(self, name='fricas', command='fricas
-nox -noclef', script_subdirectory=None, logfile=None, server=None,
server_tmpdir=None, init_code=[')lisp (si::readline-off)'])
Source:
    def __init__(self, name='fricas', command='fricas -nox -noclef',

----

The upshot is that maybe I should list both fricas and axiom in the
interfaces table?

William