On Jun 7, 2010, at 12:10 PM, Simon King wrote:

On 7 Jun., 19:28, Mike Hansen <mhan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi folks,

Sage 4.4.4.alpha0 has been released. With the exception of a few more
patches, I think this should be pretty close to final.

I wonder whether #8972 has a chance to make it into sage-4.4.4. There
is a partial review of Robert Bradshaw, but further changes had been
necessary afterwards.

Perhaps a quick review is possible?

The patches that I had posted provided an improvement for power series
and Laurent series. But due to some "subtle" changes (a quotient of
two elements of a power series ring shall now always belong to the
fraction field, which now is a Laurent series ring), some code for
elliptic curves broke.

This is now fixed. I am afraid I only tested with sage-4.4.2, but
there, sage -testall passes.

Moreover, the Monsky-Washnitzer code (not my field of expertise, but
it seems to be important for elliptic curves) seems to become faster
by about 33%.
Before:
 sage -t  "devel/sage/sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/
monsky_washnitzer.py"
          [3.9 s]
With my patches
 sage -t  "devel/sage/sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/
monsky_washnitzer.py"
          [2.3 s]

So, it would be a nice improvement.

Nice. Did you do multiple runs? (Sometimes the variance is pretty high for me, at least at first.)

However, I wonder whether a 'quick
review' is acceptable -- after all, a change in power series will
impact many parts of Sage.

Given my initial reviews were not thorough enough (not that I didn't bring up quite a few issues) I don't think a "quick" (in terms of depth, not timeline) review is a good idea. (This is not a statement about the quality of the code, it's just that it's quite a big change.) I'll try to look at this some more, but it wouldn't hurt to have another set of eyeballs comment as well.

- Robert