On Jun 7, 2010, at 12:45 PM, Nathann Cohen wrote:

Hello everybody !!!!

I have exchanged several email with Fabien de Montgolfier, who wrote a
C implementation [1] of an algorithm computing the modular
decomposition of a graph [2]. Since then, I have been writing an
interface between Sage and this C code [3], and discussing with Minh
and him possible licenses for his code, as he is willing to adapt it
to our needs. As Minh advised, we settled on the LGPLv3, and this
email's aim is to collect your thought on the subject.

So here is the situation : I have a C library licensed under the
LGPLv3, and I plan to put its 3 C files inside of
sage/graphs/modular_decomposition [3], which will then be part of Sage
(for the moment, the files' headers need some fixing, but it won't
stay in the final version). Do any of you see any problem with this ?
:-)

Well, there's a technical and legal question here. On a technical note, it's better to put the C files in an spkg and then link to them from the Sage library rather than check external code into the Sage library itself. (If you want help making an spkg, I'd be happy to do that.) This can be licensed with any GPLv2+ compatible license.

Once this is done, the code in the Sage library can be GPLv2+, so as to be compatible with all the other code there. I think it's much better to have all the code in the library be under the same license, rather than having to worry about different files being licensed differently. (The resulting binaries will necessarily be GPLv3+ when shipping with all the other v3+ packages).

- Robert