Hello,

> Having checked again, __sparc is preferable. That is supported by gcc, g++, cc
> and CC (the Sun compilers)

Thanks a lot!

> I've  also  got machines running AIX, tru64, HP-UX and IRIX. None of
> the CPUs in those sorts of machines would support SSE. Clearly there
> are  many  system which will never support SSE, though Solaris SPARC
> is the most critical for Sage.

Well,  I  am from x86 world and (currently) have no access to anything
beyond  32/64-bit  Intel  CPUs. I'll move to optimizations specific to
other  ISA's  when  I'll get hands on machines with these CPU's :) But
now I have to optimize at least for x86.

> I  doubt the Intel Itanium processors support SSE either, though I'm
> not 100% sure of that.

Itanium doesn't support SSE, you are right.

--
With best regards,
 Sergey                          mailto:sergey.bochka...@alglib.net