On Jun 10, 2010, at 8:17 PM, Jason Grout wrote:

On 6/10/10 12:25 PM, Florent Hivert wrote:
      Hi There,

I'd like to discuss a design question. Some time ago Adrien Boussicault and
myself started to write some experimental code for copy-on-write in
Sage/Python. The idea is now more or less dropped because performance gain was
not so good and the syntax was not very usable.

Rob and I were just talking yesterday how it's so inconvenient that identity_matrix() now returns an immutable matrix, so constructing something from it involves making a copy, which is not the most obvious thing to a new person, or the most elegant thing to someone that has been using matrices for a while now. It would be fantastic if immutable matrices had copy-on-write semantics, not necessarily for performance, but just for usability after some of the recent design decisions (which I guess were made for performance reasons).

Copy on write *should* be rather easy to implement for matrices at least.

- Robert