> Obviously "grid" works on Solaris, otherwise the doctest would faiil, but
> Matrix, class, mgcv, rpart, spatial and survival will not. Hence it would be
> desirable to have tests for these - either as extra documentation, or as tests
> which don't don't get in the manual.

Which is why you opened the ticket.  The discussion there isn't
suggesting we shouldn't clear bugs, simply that there isn't a
canonical place for putting this sort of test (not that I'm aware of,
perhaps there is).  Testing every single installed package could be
quite tricky, as likely the packages change in various spkgs over
time, but sometimes in subtle ways that an updater of an spkg wouldn't
be aware of.

Perhaps each interface to something with packages that could
conceivably not build (Gap, maybe?  Maxima?) could have a separate
test_default_packages command which would then just test itself.

- kcrisman