Dear Kirby and Pasechnik,

Sorry for the waste of time: I have now upgraded my Debian lenny
system and, as Marik above has stated, it now does have matched 4.3.2
versions of all three compilers (gcc, g++ and gfortran). I am now
building Sage from scratch and everything seems to be going fine. I
will report as soon as the process is over (for whatever reason :-)).

Thank you all again!