On Jun 21, 2010, at 11:20 AM, William Stein wrote:

On Monday, June 21, 2010, Robert Miller <r...@rlmiller.org> wrote:
Hello,

Almost a year ago there was a brief discussion about this topic:

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/fed15c54478e8d5

GLPK is a GPLv3 program from the FSF for linear programming:

http://www.gnu.org/software/glpk/

Many of the awesome graph theory functions (such as for Hamiltonian
graphs) depend on some LP program being installed, and I think it
would be great if sage-standard could, e.g. solve the is_hamiltonian
question. Here are a few William Stein quotes from the last
discussion:

NOTE: GLPK is GPLv3. Since we need to retain the ability to release GPLv2 versions of Sage for now, this is another very good reason to make it
optional for a while (so it is easy to swap out).
I personally think GLPK will end up being standard in Sage before
long, so I think your approach right now is pretty good.   It's just
that it has to be optional for a bit (a month or so), since that's
what we do.

I recently emailed him about the GPLv3 issue, asking "is GPLv3 a
deal-breaker?" and he replied "No, it is not a dealbreaker."

As more and more functions requiring LP get merged into Sage, I think
the time has come to reconsider this.

This is an official call for a vote:

[ ]  yes, include glpk

Makes sense to me. Does it have a spkg-check?

- Robert