On 06/21/10 11:03 PM, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
On Jun 21, 2010, at 2:27 PM, Bill Hart wrote:

If what you are saying is true, then that is appalling, David. Any
package which is not rigorously tested is completely and utterly
broken, as anyone who code, knows.

This is assuming that no one upstream does any testing. I think the
focus should be on new code (e.g. the Sage library itself, or code
that's not widely used outside of Sage.)

Well Python is pretty widely used, so using that logic, Python would escape testing.

Yet testing Python on 3 different systems (John's Mac, my Solaris and OpenSolaris machines), have produced 5 errors on each machine. Though some are common, there is probably around 10-12 different failures spread amount the 3 different systems.

I vote that all packages without a decent test suite be deprecated.
{only half joking}

Well, we should make it a requirement for any new packages at least.

I think it is not unreasonable that anyone updating a package add an spkg-check file if one does not exist. It would of course be really boring for someone to do all 80 packages, but less of a burden someone did it when updating a package, like you plan to do with Cython.

Anyway, what of the following would be considered worth doing first,
given I don't have the time or inclination to do them all? All these
lack an spk-check file.

Here's my very quick partitioning (in terms of spkg-check):

Very important:

./blas-20070724/spkg-install // there are NO tests in blas

Worrying of course, given there are no self-tests, and you consider it very important.

./cephes-2.8/spkg-install // HAS self tests, but no spkg-check
./cliquer-1.2.p5/spkg-install
./cvxopt-0.9.p8/spkg-install
./gnutls-2.2.1.p5/spkg-install
./iml-1.0.1.p12/spkg-install
./lapack-20071123.p1/spkg-install
./lcalc-20100428-1.23/spkg-install
./libm4ri-20100221/spkg-install
./linbox-1.1.6.p3/spkg-install
./maxima-5.20.1.p0/spkg-install
./pari-2.3.5.p1/spkg-install
./pexpect-2.0.p4/spkg-install
./singular-3-1-0-4-20100214/spkg-install
./polybori-0.6.4.p1/spkg-install
./numpy-1.3.0.p3/spkg-install
./opencdk-0.6.6.p4/spkg-install
./palp-1.1.p2/spkg-install
./symmetrica-2.0.p5/spkg-install
./sympow-1.018.1.p7/spkg-install
./sagenb-0.8.p2/spkg-install
./ratpoints-2.1.3.p1/spkg-install

Thank you. That list is interesting. I doubt I'll do them all, but if I get bored, I'll look at them first.

Dave