I've tried to build a slightly modified version of Sage 4.5.alpha1 on OpenSolaris x64 as a 64-bit application, but have hit two non-trivial issues.

 * Maxima will not build.
 * R will not build

So I typed

$ touch spkg/installed/maxima-$version
$ touch spkg/installed/r-$Rversion
$ SAGE_PARALLEL_SPKG_BUILD=yes  # Parallel build.
$ export MAKE="make -j 12"
$ make

At the end of the build I get:

Successfully installed gap-4.4.12.p4
Now cleaning up tmp files.
rm: Cannot remove any directory in the path of the current working directory
/export/home/drkirkby/sage-4.5.alpha1/spkg/build/gap-4.4.12.p4
Making Sage/Python scripts relocatable...
Making script relocatable
Finished installing gap-4.4.12.p4.spkg
make[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/drkirkby/sage-4.5.alpha1/spkg'

real    39m25.766s
user    91m39.071s
sys     12m12.928s
To install gap, gp, singular, etc., scripts
in a standard bin directory, start sage and
type something like
   sage: install_scripts('/usr/local/bin')
at the Sage command prompt.

To build the documentation, run
   make doc

Sage build/upgrade complete!

Before I cracked open a bottle of Champagne, and started to use Sage for some real work, I thought I better test if Sage actually worked! At which point:

drkir...@hawk:~/sage-4.5.alpha1$ ./sage
| Sage Version 4.5.alpha1, Release Date: 2010-06-29                  |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
*                                                                    *
* Warning: this is a prerelease version, and it may be unstable.     *
*                                                                    *

Unhandled SIGSEGV: A segmentation fault occurred in Sage.
This probably occurred because a *compiled* component
of Sage has a bug in it (typically accessing invalid memory)
or is not properly wrapped with _sig_on, _sig_off.
You might want to run Sage under gdb with 'sage -gdb' to debug this.
Sage will now terminate (sorry).

/export/home/drkirkby/sage-4.5.alpha1/local/bin/sage-sage: line 206: 25839 Segmentation Fault (core dumped) sage-ipython "$@" -i

gdb was not very useful to me. I'm going to update my gdb version before worrying too much about that. I think in fact on Solaris it might be better to use dbx.

Anyway, my main point of this is to know whether faking Maxima or R installing could cause this or not. I thought they were not library components, so if they did not exist would not matter one single bit unless one tried to use them. But here Sage wont even start.

Dave