I voted +1 for the idea of using patches instead of edited version of
source files, which everyone seems to agree on.  I thought from
earlier postings that this requires having the patch function
installed, so voted in favour.  But now it is quite clear that this is
*not* necessary, so I withdraw that vote (in case anyone is counting!

As for my own spkg (eclib) I just make any change needed for Sage
"upstream" to keep life simple, but do realise that not all spkgs have
such accommodating owners!

John