I've updated the GSL library to the latest version in Sage.

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/patches/gsl-1.14.spkg

There was a patch which was applied on OS X, but it was against a 3-year old version of GSL, so I'm not sure how relevant it is today. I have removed that patch. But it would be good to get some OS X testers.

The package builds in parallel itself, so should not take long to run. (It takes 1 minute 33 seconds on my Sun). I've built it about 50 times in parallel now, or Linux, OS X, Solaris and OpenSolaris machines, and each time all the self-test pass.

If you use

$ export SAGE_CHECK=yes

it should build, then print near the end

"The self-tests of GSL were successfully passed".

Dave