On 19 July 2010 16:32, Alexander Dreyer
<jan.alexander.dre...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>> Maybe, if the installation procedures makes use of python's distutils.
> In python 2.7 there the --no-user-config option to python setup.py.
> But backporting that would still need to add --no-user-config to 30+
> spkgs.
> (This is suggested in the case of rpms, for instance.)
>
> An alternative would be to to patch distutils to obey some environment
> variable.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Regards,
>    Alexander

I've used python very little, so my skills in that are poor, so I am
not going to suggest what may or may not be the best way to do this.
However, I will point you at

which shows how Sage tried to write to directories used by the system
python. That's potentially quite serious, as it can screw up one
system if one is stupid enough to build Sage as root, which a lot of
people do.

Dave