On 07/31/2010 12:53 AM, Henryk Trappmann wrote:
> On Jul 29, 9:12 pm, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I will point out, though, that you clearly *do* use Maxima, since you
>> tried to do this in Sage, which uses Maxima heavily.
>
> This may be, but I dont know about it.
> I know that Sage uses Maxima, but neither do I know what Maxima is,
> nor how to use it. But most importantly I dont know *when* sage uses
> Maxima.
> You can not expect from a normal sage user (even if he knows how to
> write plain sage code), that he knows what is called underneath his
> input line.

You could try using sage.misc.citation.get_systems:

sage: var('n, k');
sage: sum(1 / sum(k, k, 1, n), n, 1, infinity)
2
sage: from sage.misc.citation import get_systems
sage: get_systems('sum(1 / sum(k, k, 1, n), n, 1, infinity)')
['MPFI', 'ginac', 'GMP', 'Maxima']

A caveat:

sage: get_systems?
       Returns a list of the systems used in running the command cmd.
       Note that the results can sometimes include systems that did not
       actually contribute to the computation. Due to caching and the
       inability to follow all C calls, it could miss some dependencies as
       well.

I don't know how accurate the returned list is for "typical"
computations.  Is it correct for the example above?  Maybe it's at least
a useful starting place for further investigation?