On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 07:06:33 +1000, Peter Jeremy <peterjer...@acm.org> wrote:
> On 2010-Aug-04 14:51:21 -0700, Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:
> >There are other areas of mathematics where "<" gets used for proper
> >inclusion. A group theorist is going to be very surprised if for two
> >groups H,G, the expression "H < G" is valid but does not mean "H is a
> >subgroup of G".
>
> I expect this is primarily due to the restrictions of the ASCII
> character set.  More appropriate set comparison and manipulation
> characters were defined about 50 years ago in APL: ∩ ∪ ⊂ ⊃ ⊆ ⊇
> (For those without appropriate glyphs available, these are Unicode
> codepoints U+2289, U+228A, U+2282, U+2283, U+2286 and U+2287)

While this is true, I believe Nils' point was that mathematicians
often use H < G to say that H is a subgroup of G, even when they write
such things by hand, where they're not bound by the ASCII character set
(or even Unicode).

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- http://aghitza.org/
Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne -- Australia