Maurizio's function is pretty nice! It's exactly what I was looking
for. I think it should be included in future releases. But it's a bit
slow (at least for the 1..1e9 range), maybe it should be rewritten or
compiled.
The only thing I didn't like is that it saves the image to the current
directory, while plot() saves it to a temporary directory and displays
it immediately, even when called from the command line.

About dagss idea of an object that worked as the inverse of a matrix,
but without actually inverting the matrix, I think it would be a good
idea. This is, a function inv(M) that returned a symbolic inverse of
M. This way:
N = inv(M)
N * a  # returns M \ a
N \ a  # returns M * a
matrix(N)  # calculates the inverse, or the pseudo-inverse, of M

And if .T and .H would be possible, I think they're a good solution.

And about trace()... yes, it's weird that trace(M) and M.trace()
behave differently.