On 08/21/2010 02:12 AM, Jason Grout wrote:
> On 8/20/10 2:44 PM, Ryan Hinton wrote:
>> I have a build of Sage at school that I occasionally update when a bug
>> or upgrade affects me.  I'm the only one who uses it, but it's
>> installed in a public location (i.e. not writable by me) in case
>> someone else *might* use it.  And because I don't have enough disk
>> space in my personal quota. :-)
>>
>> So I went through the motions again: download, build, test, notify the
>> sysadmin that a new build is ready to be copied over.  But this time
>> we're having trouble with Sage fixing the install paths.  There are
>> multiple levels of symbolic links in the path, and some components
>> (e.g. Zope) are picking up the absolute path (w/o symlinks), while
>> others are picking up the cd'ed path where "./sage" is being run (w/
>> symlinks).  The symptom is that we get
>>
>> /share/apps/contrib/sage-4.5.2/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sage/
>> misc/misc.py in branch_current_hg()
>>     1877     i = s.rfind('->')
>>     1878     if i == -1:
>> ->  1879         raise RuntimeError, "unable to determine branch?!"
>>     1880     s = s[i+2:]
>>     1881     i = s.find('-')
>>
>> RuntimeError: unable to determine branch?!
>> Error importing ipy_profile_sage - perhaps you should run %upgrade?
>> WARNING: Loading of ipy_profile_sage failed.
>>
>> while Sage is trying to fix the paths (next output after the "Do not
>> interrupt this" message).
>> Any suggestions?

Could you tell us the result of

cd SAGE_ROOT
ls -l devel/

?  For example, I get

total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 mpatel mpatel 4096 2010-08-14 19:31 old
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mpatel mpatel    9 2010-08-14 19:33 sage -> sage-main
drwxr-xr-x 7 mpatel mpatel 4096 2010-08-19 18:25 sage-main

The branch_current_hg function looks for the symbolic link, which may be
missing because sage is an actual directory.

Perhaps the copy command didn't preserve symlinks?  What happens if you use

cp -dR OLD_SAGE_ROOT NEW_SAGE_ROOT

?  The '-d' flag tells cp not to dereference links in the source and to
preserve them in the destination.