On 8/31/10 12:14 PM, Ivan Andrus wrote:
Continuing the discussion that dribbled off into nothing:
http://groups.google.mn/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/b765738766448b5d

Thanks for resurrecting this.  Hopefully we can get it to go somewhere.

I have lots of students with macs now, and some are interested in getting Sage
working on their computer.  Ivan posted what looked like a fantastic app for
Sage, but then posted about a problem with the browser not being recognized.

I have changed the UserAgent (in sort of a hacky way) since that seemed best.
It works okay for me, but it would be nice to know how it works for others.  I
suspect some won't even want to use the browser portion of the application.

Ivan: I tried your app that you posted (SageMenu.zip).  I set the path in Targets>Sage
Menu>Run Script to point to my local sage directory.  I clicked "Build and Run".
It gave one error (ln:
/Users/grout/Downloads/osx/SageMenu/build/Release/SageMenu.app/Contents/Resources/sage: File
exists), so apparently it's trying to link the file again. However, I get an error on running:

*snip*

Any ideas as to what is wrong?

It looks you were using an old version.  The latest can be found (prebuilt) at
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/iandrus/SageApp.dmg
where it is updated sporadically.

I think what was happening is that it was trying to link it again (as you
suggested) but that this failed.  Then since the original link didn't exist on
your system, the application crashed.  If I am right about this then a Build>
Clean should fix the problem.

Thankfully, this should no longer be an issue since the application functions
without a sage binary (at least functions enough to use the preferences to set
one).

Once we think this is ready to start being distributed I can finish things up.
I still haven't integrated it into sage -bdist, but that shouldn't take long,
and once that's done I can make a patch and put it up on trac for review.
Other than that any feedback/feature requests are welcome since it will be
easier to change it now than after it's officially part of Sage.  I have
already fixed a few bugs that kcrisman found, but I'm sure there are more.

When I click "stop server", and then "start server", I see this error message in the log:

Setting environment variables
Warning: Attempted to overwrite SAGE_ROOT environment variable
Checking install location
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./local/bin/sage-location", line 5, in <module>
    SAGE_ROOT     = os.environ['SAGE_ROOT']
File "/Users/grout/sage-4.5.2//local/lib/python/UserDict.py", line 22, in __getitem__
    raise KeyError(key)
KeyError: 'SAGE_ROOT'
Starting Notebook
| Sage Version 4.5.2, Release Date: 2010-08-05                       |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |

Please wait while the Sage Notebook server starts...
2010-08-31 12:36:19-0500 [-] Log opened.
2010-08-31 12:36:19-0500 [-] twistd 9.0.0 (/Users/grout/sage/local/bin/python 2.6.4) starting up. 2010-08-31 12:36:19-0500 [-] reactor class: twisted.internet.selectreactor.SelectReactor. 2010-08-31 12:36:19-0500 [-] twisted.web2.channel.http.HTTPFactory starting on 8000 2010-08-31 12:36:19-0500 [-] Starting factory <twisted.web2.channel.http.HTTPFactory instance at 0x10a299440>

Thanks,

Jason

-Ivan