On Sep 8, 1:03 am, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> If the ping time to boxen.math.washington.edu is an order of magnitude less
> than
> any other mirror ...

I've coded this and back then I thought this is a good idea, but maybe
it's not. The main objective was to get rid of the hardcoded boxen
server and somehow intelligently select alternatives. The main
constraint was to make sure that only uptodate mirrors are choosen -
as best as our current infrastructure allows. There are often some
which are online but outdated. Updating from such a server is a bad
idea ;)
Maybe it's fine if just the first one is choosen, should be a rather
trivial patch. Also, ping time is not a good measurement on how fast
the data will be transferred, but the best and quickest way I'm aware
of for such a purpose.