On 10/12/2010 10:31 AM, kcrisman wrote:
> On Oct 12, 11:29 am, maldun <dom...@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Thanks for the quick response! I will update my sage on this computer
>> then =)
>
> You might want to wait until the "official" release of Sage 4.6, which
> should be imminent, rather than doing sage -upgrade, which is
> supposedly for "experts" but does have the ability to destroy your
> Sage if you aren't careful.

One "expert" way to manage destruction is to do

tar xf sage-x.y.z.tar
cd sage-x.y.z
make
cd ..
cp -a sage-x.y.z sage-x.y.z-copy   # On Mac and Linux.  What is -a on
Solaris?
cd sage-x.y.z-copy
./sage -upgrade http://...         # Or sage -i, sage -f, etc.

say.  It's helps to keep the original sage-x.y.z in place, to avoid
breaking paths in

sage-x.y.z-copy/local/lib/pkgconfig/*

which still refer to sage-x.y.z (see #9210 for a fix awaiting review
[1]).  If an irreversible operation goes bad, you can

cd ..
rm -rf sage-x.y.z-copy
cp -a sage-x.y.z sage-x.y.z-copy

and try again, etc.

However, it may still be best to wait until we've resolved #9896 [2] to
upgrade from before 4.6 into the 4.6 cycle.

Another way is to put all content under SAGE_ROOT in a git repository
and, when it's necessary, to reset the working directory to an earlier
commit.

[1] http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/9210
[2] http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/9896