On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> In order not to overload the "bug wranglers" thread too much I'm
> starting a new thread.
>
> One thing which came up in that thread is the difficulty of finding
> reviewers.  I also agree that this is an issue.  For small bug fixes,
> the time to find a reviewer totally dominates the patch development
> time.  For big tickets, in some cases there are very few people
> (possible none) who are able or willing to do the review.  Sometimes it
> can happen that perfectly good patches fixing real bugs just get lost
> because nobody reviews them (this almost happened to #9799 for example).
>
> So while a "bug wrangler" team might be needed to keep the users happy,
> maybe there should also be a "review wrangler" team or something to keep
> the developers happy.  It would be good if there was a list of people
> willing to do reviews and on which subjects.

Not to sound pessimistic, but something like this has been tried
before (the "editorial board"). For small fixes, I'd say automation is
the key (so I can just look at the code and say "yes," or *easily* try
it out.) For big tickets, if there's no one willing or able to do the
review, than I'd say most of the time they should be broken up into
pieces that can be reviewed.

- Robert