On 10/22/10 7:16 PM, Michael Droettboom wrote:
   On 10/22/2010 05:45 PM, Russell E. Owen wrote:
I'm curious when the next release of matplotlib is due.

My application is suffering badly from the issue that an incorrect font
cache will cause matplotlib to fail (the application mysteriously exits
partway through startup until the user deletes the font cache).

That problem is allegedly fixed on the trunk and I'm trying to decide
how best to deal with it. Depending on the timing of 1.0.1 I can decide
whether it's worth putting in my own workaround, bundling a prerelease
version of matplotlib or just waiting for the official release.
I'm not sure what the timeframe is on 1.0.1.

What problem with the cache are you referring to?  I'm aware of a
problem where if some fonts are moved or removed after the cache is
created matplotlib will crash (and this problem is fixed in the trunk),
but is that really a problem in everyday practice?  I'm just curious --
if there's another issue with the cache that I'm not aware of, I'd like
to fix it.
'

We've been running into problems in Sage that seem to occur because font caches from 1.0.0 make old versions of matplotlib die. I haven't seen the problem myself, but several Sage developers have put in quite a bit of time in diagnosing the problem. In the end, I think they wrote a patch to do custom MPLCONFIGDIR for different versions of matplotlib in different versions of Sage.

I'm CCing sage-devel, in case one of the sage devs that ran into problems wants to comment.

Thanks,

Jason

--
Jason Grout