On 11/13/10 12:29 PM, Simon King wrote:
Hi Dave!

On 12 Nov., 16:22, "Dr. David Kirkby"<david.kir...@onetel.net>  wrote:
On 11/12/10 03:10 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

I meant to say Sage is NOT the place to

look. vmstat, sar (possibly top) are worth looking at.

top would not help. It simply says that my process is sometimes only
taking 30% CPU time, but it gives no indication *why*. Note that it is
only a guess that I/O are to blame.

Moreover, a system tool would not tell me in what part of my programs
the problem is located. "prun" might give some hint. However, since my
programs use external programs as well as compiled components and
interfaces, I was hoping for a tool that tracks all I/O processes
occuring during my computation.

Perhaps there is a system tool for that purpose. I think it would help
me if some tool would produce a list of all file names to which I/O
happened, and record the I/O time for each file.

Best regards,
Simon

lsof will certainly tell you what files are open, but I don't think it can tell you the CPU usage of the processes having those files open.

On Solaris, dtrace could undoubtedly do what you want.

Dave