I find it amusing that mathematicians are being told that
a math-specific language is a liability. Mathematics is,
after all, a specialized language that took me years to
learn.

In any problem you wish to solve with a program there is always
an impedance mismatch (like hooking a soda straw to a firehose).

You can choose a language close to the machine (e.g assembler)
and "port" your problem across the chasm. Or you can choose a
language close to the problem (e.g. APL) and let the machine do
the "port" across the chasm. Python is somewhere in the middle
where mathematics is concerned.

Python is a poor match for the machine (interpreted) and it is a
poor match for the mathematics (needing lots of supporting
superstructure the user needs to learn).

As a pragmatic choice for design-by-accretion it is excellent.
But as a selling point for developing mathematics I'm somewhat
more skeptical.

What is the ultimate purpose of Sage (beyond competition)?
Is it a platform for doing computational mathematics?
If so, why wouldn't I want a language close to my problem,
that is, a language that directly supports well-founded
mathematics? And what can that possibly have to do with Python?

Python is the glue. Who chooses a workbench based on the glue?

Tim Daly